Monday, July 16, 2012

Weekend with friends!

We were lucky enough to have some more friends come into town for a visit this past weekend. Well, actually, they were here to do a 10K, but also decided to hang with us, too. It was so great to see them!
The friends who came are teachers from my old school. They are such great people. After having them here, I realized that we didn't hang out with them as much as we should have when we lived in Portland. Kevin (4th grade teacher), wife Emily (school secretary), their daughter Ellie (same age as Tristan), Holly (6th grade) and Spencer (Kindergarten). Kevin and I bonded six years ago when a group of AS teachers traveled to Costa Rica for the craziest, most dangerous trip I've ever been on. (Again, this requires a post all of its own, but here's a sampling: canoeing with alligators, staying in the jungle which required one to wear boots outside so that you did not get bitten by a snake as all of them were extremely poisonous, capturing bats, etc. Every time I relive these moments, I'm so shocked I did them. Team Extreme to the fullest.) And Holly and I go way back as we graduated together in the education program at UP and also, a few years later, got our Master's together. We also traveled with a group of AS teachers to Ireland and Cambridge, England for a teacher conference. (Again, amazing trip which requires its own post, but did not involve anything extreme. Same trip where Brian met up with me and proposed in Italy. Wow, I'm getting off topic.)
Okay, so now that you know the back story on these great people (and probably more than you needed to know), here are some pics of our fun weekend together. We had a BBQ at our house at the end of their race and then ended up having a slumber party with the Baumbachs. Again, such good times :)
Tristan & Ellie watching the iPad. If it was Tristan's choosing, it was probably the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse in Spanish. I don't think he realizes that it also comes in English. Somehow the most viewed are always other languages. Oh, and all of us AS teachers have our principal to thank for buying us iPads. Our kids ended up thinking they were for them instead of for their parents :)
The kids loved our makeshift swing set (which has since been removed, thank goodness!) while the adults enjoyed intense games of cornhole.
Self portrait of Kevin. Now I know why my memory card was completely filled the next day :)
Holly checking out the neighbor's yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment