Friday, January 7, 2011

Hypospadias

I debated writing about this on here being that it is pretty personal, but since it is apart of his life, I thought I probably should.

Tristan was born with a very mild case of Hypospadias. This basically means that his urinary hole needed to be moved and reconstructed. Although we had never heard of it, we were surprised to find out that it is relatively common among boys - 1 out of 300 are born with it. His was so mild that it was hardly noticeable, but we knew it was something that we needed to have corrected just in case it impacted him in any way - whether now as a baby, or when he is older.

We scheduled the surgery for last Thursday, 1/6 and fretted for days before it happened. I have never felt so anxious or been so stressed in my entire life!! But, as soon as we met our anesthesiologist, I immediately felt more at ease. I won't go into many specifics on here about the procedure, but since it was an out-patient surgery, he was already feeling great by the time we went home six hours later! And I'm happy to report that he's back to his happy and active little self! We're so glad that it's behind us now!



Poor little man had no idea what was about to happen! He was bouncing around and smiling before the surgery - even though he hadn't eaten since 10 the night before!

I loved his little hospital gown, but hope we never have to see him in one again!

Poor little guy - still feeling the effects of the anesthesia after the surgery.

Resting before we were released to go home.

2 comments:

  1. Poor little man, or I should say poor mom & dad as Tristan will never remember any of it... Glad everything went good and he was out and ready to party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just happened across your blog and wanted to say that I'm so glad the surgery went well. My son had surgery for severe HS at six months old (in 2002), and it is really hard to find people who talk about this subject - for obvious reasons!

    You have an adorable little guy! Best wishes. :)

    ReplyDelete