Sunday, November 7, 2010

Return of the Quack

This past weekend, we traveled down to Eugene for Tristan's first Duck game. It was also his first visit to my hometown. It definitely felt different traveling to Eugene this trip, especially since this is the first time I returned with my own family. I don't travel south to Eugene as often as I used to, mainly because all of my family members now live in other cities. It's an interesting mix of feelings I experience whenever I return. This time, it was an overwhelming feeling of nostalgia as I realized that I have 18 years of memories in this place. I think I was even more reflective this trip because I realized that I can share all these memories with Tristan one day. And what made it even more special, is that we got to begin some of our own new experiences with one another in a place that holds so many memories.

Alright, back to the main reason for this visit - to be apart of the excitement and to celebrate the Ducks at #1! Growing up, I have many fond memories of going to Duck games with my family and friends. Back then, the Ducks were hardly a team that people knew about. It wasn't difficult to get tickets and even easier to find a spot to tailgate. We spent many a Saturday BBQing and throwing a football while waiting for the game to start. Fast forward 20 years and it hardly feels like the same experience! Going to the game now is almost impossible if you don't already know someone who is willing to give up their season tickets for face value. That's why when we found four seated tickets next to each other for under face value, we jumped at the chance!

We traveled down Friday night with our good friends Sarah and Clint. Another reason we were excited to go down for the game is because we were able to stay at Sarah's sister's house in my hometown. Well, if we're being technical, it actually borders my hometown. But when three towns are so small that they all funnel into the same high school, after awhile it feels like the same place :) Staying in Elmira just added to the weekend deja vu. Their house was beautiful and it felt oddly familiar to be there for a night. We also went to breakfast in what was once an old church that I visited as a child. One of the nice things about a small town is that you have a memory/connection with just about everything there!

It was so much fun to celebrate the Ducks' first time at being at the top of rankings and also to return to a familiar place with my little man. I'm excited to share more about this place with him as he grows up!



We tried out the sound-proof headphones for him, but they didn't last long. That's what we get for taking a baby to a game during his nap time!! That's why these pictures were taken in the Moshofsky Center!

Always good times with Sarah & Clint!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun, Tasha! I know what you mean about going back to Veneta... I never go out ther anymore and it's so odd to see how much it has/hasn't changed!

    ReplyDelete